Thursday, July 23, 2015

Reflections on Project 1

Two challenges I dealt with during the project included finding multiple sources of my chosen controversy on the internet, and melding what sources I could find into a cohesive and viable article.
I had to find a pattern and a common thread with the sources I found. The controversy is about an important but relatively specialized subject, and so the stories on the internet were limited in number. I had to use sources that were concerned with the bigger question of ethics, of which my controversy was a small subtopic.
I feel I succeeded in asking a complex question and providing a good introductory answer on which further discussion could be built.
I found that a more philosophical argument and rhetorical style was best for an article of that specific scope and format. I thought the design should be simple and relevant to the text. The use of quotes was an especially good writing practice for two reasons: the technical expertise of the people involved in the subject, and the eloquence with which they, as artists, spoke about ethics in their profession.
The study and use of writing formats like MLA was work I've done before in school. Some of the research methods were the same.
The detail involved in this project is more intense than a lot of my past projects. This will be useful in my other course work because writing and communicating clearly is what photojournalism is about. This is a good starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment