Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Clarity pt. 1

Shifts
Tenses have always been challenging, but in non-fiction writing it is good to know what's correct form. The information on indirect and direct questions and quotations is helpful, but sometimes the correct form seems awkward or too stiff and formal.

Active verbs
I've always struggled with passive and active voice; sometimes it simply doesn't read well to use active voice.  Depending on the style of the writing and subject matter, I'll probably still struggle, but at least I know the default to use in non-fiction writing.

Parallel ideas
This is great information. It explains why some texts read more smoothly and effectively than others. It's this kind of detail that I'd like to work into my writing. The idea of balance in individual sentences is intriguing. The meter and pacing are affected by this kind of subtlety, too.

Needed words
I've left words out that I didn't think I needed to avoid being wordy or over-explanatory. The idea of balance applies here too; sometimes less isn't more, it's just confusing. The ambiguous sentence is something I try hard to avoid as the meaning of a sentence can totally change with the addition of one word.

No comments:

Post a Comment