Saturday, August 1, 2015

Reflection on Project 2

1. The introduction, the conclusion, and paragraphs that were commented on in the draft were revised. Unneeded words were removed, and some of the paragraphs were moved from one section of the article to another.

2. I completely reconstructed the body of the article, moving the discussion of the debate past the story of Kevin Carter. I'd written the main points in another order. I rewrote many of the main ideas to make the overall text more concise.

3. After letting the draft sit overnight, I came back to it today and decided I wanted it to read more smoothly. The main ideas weren't arranged to my satisfaction. It wasn't polished yet.

4. Making changes to the text, i.e. editing and revising is what every author should do. It is one of the tenets of good writing, in my opinion. It increases my credibility.

5. It will read better in that the two main ideas are now separate instead of intertwined as they had been. It seemed convoluted before the revision.

6. I went back and removed a lot of commas by rearranging sentences. For example: "Upon his return to the US, he discovered that his entire collection of film from the trip had been left on the plane, never to be recovered." I revised this to: "When he returned to the US, he discovered that he’d lost his entire collection of film from the trip. It was never recovered."

7. It made the main points clearer and less cluttered with unnecessary words, which can be distracting. The revision made the whole piece more cohesive and easier to follow.

8. I did. Photojournalism is a subset of non-fiction writing, and it had its own unique style. Conversational, yet formal.

9. It's helped me reconsider my ability to write non-fiction. Learning the process has made me reconsider the scope of what I can write.







No comments:

Post a Comment